Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Windows Vista: How to add Partitions in Windows Vista

One of my friend recently purchased a New laptop and as he wasnt a Computer Geek he had asked me a question about partition his hard disk. The question is How do i partition my Hard disk in Windows Vista.

In Windows Vista the partitions are called as "VOLUMES" and here are the steps to partitions your hard disk in Windows Vista OS.

  • Click the start button and type diskmgmt.msc and press <Enter> to launch the DiskManagement utility.
  • So to create a New partition free some space on the current partition my right clicking on the existing partition and choose option "shrink volume".
  • Vista then would open up a dialog box and pop up a question asking you for the size of the new partition.
  • After shrinking you can click on the "unallocated space " and choose "New simple Volume".
  • Then all you have do is to follow the disk wizard steps of creating and formatting a new drive(assigning a drive name and also the file system.
That was a great improvement from the XP system where one had to go into the Boot option and then create a Partition. Hats off the microsoft for this great improvement !!. Bloggers let me know if this technique works for you.

If you like my post you can subscribe to my Newsletter for my Future posts.

1 comment:

Mark Rohan said...

Hi i too got a laptop wit vista and was breakin my head as to how to partition d HDD. I tried proggies like Avanquest Partition Mgr but of no use.. I tried wat u told me but my HDD has 90 gb free disk space but wen i tried d shrink volume option it allowed me to have a max partition of 25gb only.. Any ideas as to how this can be increased?